Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Preggy Post

It's been a week since our new arrival and so far she has been a fairly easy baby compared to H1, maybe to make up for all the worries we had during the pregnancy.

I so wanted to blog about all my preggy experiences but after the 12th week, just when we thought it's safe to announce to the world that we were expecting, the most scariest thing happened.

I had just put up these two posts, 1 and 2, when one night I started bleeding. It felt like the whole world collapsed around me. We quickly rushed to the Emergency Room and was told that the baby was doing OK, but it could be a threatened miscarriage, and I was put on bed rest for a few days.

I quickly took the posts off the blog. Those were the most terrifying of days. I just chanted pirith all the time hoping that everything will be alright. Though I wanted to share all my experiences like the first kick or how the pregnancy was progressing I didn't want want to jinx it in anyway so I kept it quite even from close friends, relatives and this blog.

After a few days of bed rest, when the spotting had stopped I went to the mall and walked a fair bit. The spotting started again and the doctor put me on bed rest again for a few days and told me its OK to go back to work after a few days. So again when it stopped I went back to work and started spotting again.

Though the doctor told us that there is no connection between walking or working and the spotting, I noticed that it was when I walked a fair bit that this happened. We decided that nothing was worth than our baby and decided to give up my job. Luckily I had already told my employers that I would be leaving soon as we were getting ready to go back to Sri Lanka, so I was able to stop immediately.

Then on our 20th week ultrasound the doctor gave us more scary news. He said that I have a low-lying placenta and it was completely covering the opening of the cervix. This can later cause Placenta Previa. Now we were really scared as in a few weeks time we were to fly to Sri Lanka. I was sooo scared that flying would harm the baby, but the doctor assured us that since it's a short flight, the risks were very low. But you know how mothers are...I was worried the whole time and again right throughout the journey I kept chanting pirith to keep my mind at ease.

We had made an appointment with my gynecologist, Dr Kaluarachchi (who was H1's doctor), the same day we landed as we wanted to make sure the baby is alright after the flight. It was so reassuring to see him again. He's such a calming person that I immediately felt safe with him. He told us that there was nothing to worry about and not to think too much about the placenta as most move away from the opening of the cervix as the pregnancy progresses.

All in all, this pregnancy was filled with worries for me and I am so thankful that our baby came into the world without further complications.

Stay tuned and I will tell you about the whole birth experience...that one was scary too.

7 comments:

  1. whoa! sorry to hear all the tough times you went through Su. It must have been really hard to keep such a great news to yourself and also face that kinda scary situation from time to time. It's good to hear that you kept chanting pirith too, to keep your mind calm, it helps a great deal.

    Awaiting more stories. ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine how it would've felt.
    I was wondering why the posts were taken off and thought it could be something like this..:)

    lets be glad it's all fine now..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! that sounds really really scary Su... I'm happy and relieved that everything worked out well and that you had a beautiful and healthy little girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. *hugs* I can appreciate how scared you may have felt... and am so glad everything is ok.

    p.s. I love Dr. K too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone.

    Yeah Angel, he's one great person. My hubs thinks I am in love with him cause I too keep saying i love Dr. K ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy that all went well. you have a lovely little girl. I also had the same condition(low placenta)but everything went well with "Tharani" As u said chanting pirith and listening helped me.

    ReplyDelete