Monday, August 31, 2009

Birth Story-part I

It's exactly two weeks since we were blessed with another baby girl. Let me tell you how she arrived.

Because H1's was an emergency c-section (yep..even her arrival was full of drama...being the drama queen that she is), we decided that Nanga baba too will be a caesarean. My doctor decided on 23 Aug, Sunday as the day and asked us to admit on Saturday.

Oh well, ze junior had other plans...
Monday, I was purging the whole night and around eight on Tue morning I felt what I thought were contractions. Hubby was getting ready for work, so I told him to hold off going to work and time my contractions. Good grief they were coming every five min! Which was sudden I must say. H1's started about an hour apart, so we had plenty of time to prepare. We hadn't even packed our hospital bag as we thought we had plenty of time.I quickly packed it while Hubs called the doctor who told us to come right away.

So, off to hospital we went. By 9.30 I was hooked on to monitors and the doctor checking my contractions called my doctor (Dr Athula Kaluarachchi...b;ess him!) that I was indeed having mild contractions. Dr A asked them to have me ready for surgery by 11.00 am.

One reason I opted for a ceaser this time as well was that I remember I didn't suffer too much even after the surgery. I was in pain only the first three days or so and that too was only when I tried to get on and off the bed. Another was that, Dr A said he will allow Hubs to be with me this time around.

So around 10.30 I was wheeled to the theater, where they gave me the epidural, which I was dreading, but much to my relief didn't hurt at all.

After putting up drapes and prepping me, everyone calmly waited for Dr A to arrive. Everyone except me of cause. I didn't know I was nervous...but i could hear my heart beat through the monitor and boy was it fast! Once or twice a few alarms went off and the anesthetist asked me, "Are you nervous deary?"

I gave a weak smile, but I don't think she saw it because of the oxygen mask. But none of them seemed too concerned about the alarms because everyone was calmly chatting and joking. I tried saying Ithipisso and Karaneeya metta sutta, but kept forgetting the words. Then Dr A called around 11.00 to say some road was closed and he's stuck in traffic and will get a little late. I think it's justified that a few more alarms went off after that don't you think?

Finally around 11.30 Dr A arrived and my Hubs was allowed in. It was sooo good to have him with me that I think all my readings were very normal after that and I did not hear any more beeps.

After a lot of shaking and pulling at 12.05 p.m. arrived our Angel number 2!!!!

Helooooooooo Everyone!

Ah! I know these two!

Somebody give me a bath!

Stay tuned and I will tell you about my recovery after the C-section...Oh boy!


  1. damn! I can only imagine these things.....

    awaiting the second part..:)

  2. You still have time LD..these things will come your way sooner than you think!

    Thanks Dee

    Hold your horses MTC...recovery wasn't so great this you might re-think about having a c-section ;o)

  3. I saw a glimpse of some pics on FB too but was a bit afraid to check them out. You know.. I've a phobia for theater rooms and surgeries! *I can't say that after being there once, can I?* lol

    Anyway the story was really exciting Su.. and the pics of your lil one as soon as she was born... so cute. And you know.. yours are the first pics I'm seeing of a newborn. Even my nephew I saw an hour after his birth ne. =D Awaiting the next episode! ^__^

  4. U just took me down memory lane :) she is adorable..